Step-by-step: how to add external storage to your PS4
- Plug the USB 3.0 drive into your PS4’s USB port, then go to “Settings”
- Then “Devices”
- Then “USB Storage Devices”
- Press the X button to select the new drive.
- Select “Format as Extended Storage” (Note: Formatting will erase everything on the drive!)
Expand your storage capacity with the Seagate Game Drive PS4 4TB Portable External USB Hard Drive. This PS4 external hard drive 4TB is compatible with gaming consoles, including the PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. Simply plug it into a compatible device and it’s ready in seconds.You can use any external HDD that has a USB 3.0 connection. The PS4 and PS4 Pro will address up to 8 TB of storage. I used a Seagate 5 TB Expansion drive and the process went very smoothly. The external drive needs to be formatted to work with the PS4s and after formatting, I had 4.6 TB of usable storage space.The 4TB external drive actually improves loading times over PS4’s regular drive, as well as having the advantage of offering more space.
480GB/500GB SSD + USB 3.0 SSD enclosure.
|Base PS4||Battlefield 1: The Runner|
|Stock 5400rpm Internal Drive||70.2|
|Seagate 4TB External||54.4|
|OCZ 480GB SSD External||33.0|
7 more columns
How do you connect an external hard drive to a ps4?
Set up is simple — just plug your external USB 3.0 drive into one of PS4 USB ports, navigate to Settings, Devices, USB Storage Devices, then select your new drive and choose “Format as Extended Storage.”
What external hard drives are compatible with ps4?
PS4 Compatible External Hard Drive List
- WD Gaming Drive. WDBDFF0020BBK-WESN (2tb) | WDBCRM0030BBK-NESN (3tb) | WDBM1M0040BBK-WESN (4tb)
- WD Elements Portable. WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN (1tb) | WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN (2tb) | WDBU6Y0030BBK-WESN (3tb) | WDBU6Y0040BBK-WESN (4tb)
- WD Elements Desktop.
- WD My Book Desktop.
- WD My Passport Portable.
How do I format my external hard drive for ps4?
Format Your Hard Drive
- Head to Settings > Devices > USB Storage Devices and select your external hard drive.
- Select Format as Extended Storage and tap X.
- Select Next and tap X.
- Select Format and tap X.
- Select Yes and tap X.
- Select Okay and tap X.